Sunday, September 25, 2005

Back from California...

Well, I'm back. What a trip! I'll post the wines on here as soon as I get the list completed, and I'll post tasting notes on selected wines as I can get to it.

Last night was a bummer... big party, not great wine. The only upside was that while I was away we started pouring Krug Grand Cuvee NV and Jacquesson Cuvee 728 Brut by the glass so I of course had to try them... Krug is Krug - the best in the world. The Jacquesson was outstanding as well. Nice balance, lemony finish. Good stuff. Proud to be pouring them.

A highlite though was getting to taste the 2001 Chateau Rieussec (Saturnes, WS Wine of the Year 2004 - 100Pts.) Woah. What a wine. Huge, powerful and classic Sauternes. Beautiful nose of orange blossom, apricot, botrytis, and citrus. Hugely concentrated wine with a minute + long finish. This baby is tightly-wound and needs years (in half bottle) or decades (in 750's) to mature. Why is it that only Chateau d'Yquem gets recognition in Sauternes? A question to be answered later.

No comments: