Sunday, December 11, 2005

Is that just from Margaux?

There's Margaux, then there's Margaux Margaux. I won't explain. The 1978 Chateau Margaux, Margaux, Bordeaux, France was certainly the best bottle I've had of this wine, and could be the best Margaux I've ever had (better than the 1990? Maybe... 1982? Maybe...). When I first opened the bottle there was a touch of must and I was asked to taste it. I asked R to taste it. It was phenomenal! Black earth, cedar, black plums, crushed violets on the powerful front, then on the back side - sweet cherry fruit and a very delicate, elegant finish. Classic Margaux structure. Outstanding wine, even if this bottle was quite atypical of what I've experienced with this wine before. But alas, it was a fleeting moment, for when I tried it 2 hours later the wine had fallen apart - the fruit replaced by earth and wood. Poof! If you have a few, drink them now. Far less impressive, and a wine I was looking forward to was the 1999 Quintessa, Napa Valley. From the moment I stuck my nose in it, it was completely wrong. The wine was in perfect condition, I just don't think it was a good wine to start with! Completely stemmy and green, with very little ripe, jammy fruit (unless you consider green pepper ripe and jammy) that I always associate with this wine. Very anise-y as well. I hope this is just a dumb phase, but I honestly doubt it. It smells as though they picked too early or didn't destem and pressed too hard...... oh well.

No comments: