Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Bubbles Galore

Ahhh Happy Valentine's Day (belated).... lots and lots of bubbles. But first... last night (Monday). I actually cooked and opened a nice bottle of wine with my wife... 2002 Archery Summit Premier Cuvee Pinot Noir which was outstanding. A hint of earth, some nice black and red fruits mixed in there. A hint of clove... very, very, very nice. I wish all of my Pinots were that good... Tonight, though... was about the bubbles. 1999 Louis Roederer Cristal vs. Krug Grand Cuvee. Visual - The Krug is a nice gold straw color with spots of bubbles. The Cristal is a bit lighter with one broad stream of very small bubbles... Nose - Krug is toasty, yeasty, biscuity, with hazelnuts and rich apples. Cristal is tropical - almost sweet fruits - apricots, beautiful. None of the toastiness - alas the mark of a young Champagne... Taste - The Krug is clearly developed with richness and weight on the palate. Both front and mid-palates offer fruit and toast. A mouth-filling Champagne. The Cristal is clean - very clean - crisp, fruity, almost seems like it might be a touch off-dry, but is in fact completely dry. Mouthwatering acidity and freshness. Conclusion? Two completely different Cuvees de Prestige - one mature and rich, the other youthful and precise. The favorite? While I always love Krug, the Cristal needs some time. I would love to try this again in a few years. I think this is the best Cristal I've had and is truly something to behold.

No comments: