Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sorry...

I've been so sporadic with my posting. I've been busy getting ready for my Le Jeane Commis Sommelier Competition (which I won!). Anyway, a few notes... The 1995 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque Brut on Saturday was an excellent bottle to celebrate with. It's been years since I've actually had a chance to have a glass of this (one of the few wine's I actually drank - most are simply spit out). Hints of yeast and almonds, with pretty pears, apricots, and apples. A great, elegant, feminine wine. Cheers M! Tonight was pretty good, if not very slow... The 1996 Quintessa was good... not great. It was certainly cedary, with some nice black plum, but was showing an awful lot of anise on the finish - not a quality I usually like. Good - not spectacular. The 1988 Robert Ampeau Savigny-les-Beaune was wonderful... So pretty and classic. This producer is one who prefers to hold his wines back until he feels they are ready to drink (for example, 1994 is the currant vintage for his Meursault!). Earthy, with a hint of caramel (indicating slight oxidation), the wine slowly opened over the course of 30 minutes. It had a gorgeous layer of sweet cherry and strawberry - but so much terroir!!! Tommorow is more Burgundy... I'll be dining with Laurent Drouhin...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, Congrats on your win at the wine competition. When we dined with you over Thanksgiving, you mentioned you usually make a trip out to Napa-Sonoma in the Spring. Are you coming this year?

Andrew McNamara said...

Alex,

Unfortunately, I will not be there this Spring as I have my competition to prepare for in June. I will, however, be in Sonoma for a few days in June. E-mail me and I'll give you the details. andywine@msn.com