Friday, May 05, 2006

A few so far this week...

The 1985 Chateau Haut Brion (last night) was over-the-top cedar and gravel... an awesome wine, sure, but I don't think I've ever had a Haut-Brion with this much cedar! Elegant, with black plum and anise. We'll see what this turns into... the 85's are getting funky... The 2001 Opus One has quickly gained a cigar-box componant to it's anise and black currant. I don't know if it was just this bottle (and I sincerely hope it was), but the structure seemed to be fading. Perhaps it was closing down, but this was unlike any young Opus I've ever seen. I'm very interested to taste this again soon. The 1998 Chateau Figeac rocks... always been one of my favorite St.-Emilion wines, this is a young powerhouse. So much cocoa, with mocha, black plums, tar and just hints of leather. This is a wine to lay down for another decade. It has such great structure, balance and intensity... these Right Bank 1998's are incredible.

No comments: