Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Big Week Coming Up...

LV, then back, then onto the Finals of the Best Young Sommelier in America... then vacation!!! I am so looking forward to... well, to all of it. It's going to be exhausting, but I feel very well prepared for my competition. I've been tasting well, studying so much (plus, I've got plenty of plane time to cram!), and my service is, well, let's just call it "polished". I feel like I have put as much into this as I could possibly have put into it.

On another note, the other night I tasted the 1994, 1995, and 1996 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs side by side by side... the 1994 was weak. Very weak. It just didn't have the richness or refined character that the other two do. The 1995 is velvety - clearing showing some bottle age here with the slightly nutty, toasty nose. Much richer than the crisp 1996. I hope (and think) that the 1996 will turn out better than the 1995... it should!!! We'll see though.

You've read about them, but my report this week from someone tasting in France right now is that the 2005's are... every bit as good as the other critics suggest. They are balanced, concentrated, terroir-specific wines. I can't wait!!!

No comments: