Sunday, October 29, 2006

Perfect Barolo

The 1996 Gaja Sperss is the greatest Italian wine I have ever tasted. Filled with tar, leather, truffles, black currant, cherries and rose petals. Such a delicate, powerful wine. Reminds me of a great Le Musigny - with more tannic power. The wine just completely envelops the palate and is amazing. I served it to a serious collector last night who proclaimed it (as did I) one of the 10 best wines they've ever had. As a side note, WS only gave this 89 Points... I don't know what they were tasting that day, but while this is not worthy of 100, it is far beyond that rating. ? Anyway... I'm excited to see how this wine develops over the coming decades (yup... if you have a few, open one now. If not... wait for a while. This is only a baby).

No comments: