Sunday, July 08, 2007

Patron

First, I'd like to say that tequila is a beautiful thing... too much of it is not... Four wines last night - the 2005 Alex Gambal Bourgogne Rouge "Cuvee les Deux Papis" is stellar. For a Bourgogne, the wine simple rock. Notes of mocha, cranberries, strawberries and raspberries on the impossibly long (for a Bourgogne) long finish. High acid + lively fresh fruit, well, this is a winner in my book. The 2003 Robert Craig Howell Mountain Cabernet (3L) was ok... a bit overbearing and too ripe. A moderate finish... don't waste your money. The 1985 Silver Oak Alexander Valley (3L) was slightly maderized with a burnt-caramel note. I've had this wine from three liter before and was not impressed with it then, and I'm certainly not impressed this time around either. All in all, a pretty dull evening... save for the 1994 Colgin Herb Lamb Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Without question one of the great California Cabs I've ever tried. The 1994 Bryant Family sits at number 5 for me all time... this is better. Lush ripe fruit and a richness not found in many other wines, with a beautiful (and intense) eucalyptus note. The finish goes on forever. Perfect, this wine still has lots of life in front of it though I doubt it can get any better. Always a thrill to taste one of the Cali Cults (Harlan, Bryant, Colgin, V29/Grace Family, Hillside Select, Dalla Valle Maya, Screaming Eagle, David Arthur Elevation 1147 - these are the 8 I consider the "true" cults). Forgot I tried the 2001 Terrabianca Campaccio... lovely dried-fruit-driven wine (70% Sangiovese, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon). A nice drink.

No comments: