Friday, August 10, 2007

Beautiful

Tasted the 2004 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montipulciano... if I haven't said it, the 2004 Tuscan's are fabulous... best in years, at least since 1997. This was full of earth, leather - and power! For a Vino Nobile! But it was simply no match for the 1996 Gaja Sperss... This was the best bottle of this wine that I've had. When I initially smelled it, I was a bit disappointed as the nose seemed closed. 15 minutes took care of that issue... Leathery with roses, spice box, cinnamon, black cherry, red cherries... amazing length and tremendous power. This is a 50 year wine, and we're only on year 11. Give it another 5 at least, or as I did, taste it over the course of 3 or 4 hours, because the last taste was the best... simply beautiful. Could be one of the top 5 wines I've had this year so far.

No comments: