Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ohhhhhh Baby

Two great ones last night... the 1995 Chateau Latour has a concentrated nose of roasted coffee, graphite, cigar box (finally showing some secondary aromas - it's coming out of it's shell, albeit very, very slowly....), and black earth with a perfect balance of the powerful (but round) tannins, acidity, and layers of fruit. In all honestly, I wouldn't drink this for another 10 years or so. The 2003 Harlan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon was showing fabulously last night... certainly the best bottle of this I've tried to date (of this vintage... this wine is still not the 2001 or 2002). A thick nose of dusty earth, anise, black cherries, eucalyptus and black currents... the palate is all concentrated anise at this point. The alcohol shows a bit more of this wine than in previous years. Great stuff, I think I underrated it the last time I tried it, as it seems to have blown off some of the baby fat.

No comments: