Sunday, December 23, 2007

11-25

Yup... 11-25.

25-1999 Chateau Tirecul "Cuvee Madame" Monbazilliac - I've had this before, but for some reason this wine completely bowled me over this year. The depth of botrytis and length on the finish, coupled with extreme power with grace is something I've only ever found in very old Chateau d'Yquem. Actively searching for this wine for my own cellar.
24-1989 Gaja Barbaresco - what can be said? So much Sotto Bosco - enjoyed at a tasting then again at lunch. Maybe not the 1990 or 1988, but Gaja's signature wine is always enjoyable. This was a treat.
23-1966 Leroy Meursault "Pezerolles" Premier Cru - In my mind, the greatest winery anywhere... The fact that they do a library release every now and then blows me away... much like this wine. Amazing Chardonnay from one of the supreme Burgundy vintages of the 20th Century... like liquid hazelnuts with plenty of life.
22-1975 Bertani Amarone - pure smokey leather. What a wine... almost my favorite Italian of the year.
21-1988 DRC Richebourg - it doesn't get much better than 19 year old Richebourg...
20-1989 DRC Grands Echezeaux - when GE is done correctly, it can be one of the most enticing wines made...
19-1994 Bryant Family - this wine was initially going to go into the top 10, but after tasting a few other 1994s, it got knocked down a notch.
18-2003 Penfold's Block 42 Kalimna Cabernet Sauvignon- Anyone like to drink liquid tar? This is it... one of the rarest wines in Australia and it surpassed all of the hype and gets my nod for Austalian Wine of the Year.
17-1985 Braida Bricco dell'Uccellone Barbera d'Asti- what a suprise this was... after drinking a 1994 Ca'del Bosco Cuvee Annamaria Clementi, the good Doctor produced this stunner. Soooo much earth, one of the great experiences of my trip this summer.
16-1986 Chateau Cheval-Blanc - this was one that I forgot (how, I don't know... sorry...) Pure Cheval, I've now had this 4 times in the last 2 years and it keeps getting better and better. Not as good as the 2000, 1998, 1990 or 1982 in my mind, but still great and one of the best Bordeaux produced in this vintage.
15-1996 Gaja Sperss - When I opened up the first bottle of this, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. This has everything great Barolo should have - Sotto Bosco, dried leaves, black fruit, red fruit, roses... The finish on this wine goes on forever... full of texture but almost weightless. Best Italian of the Year for me.
14-1998 Comte Georges de Vogue "Le Musigny" Vieilles Vignes - what can I say about my favorite Burgundy vineyard? If only this were another 5 - 10 years older. Like drinking pure silk.
13-2000 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Riesling - if anyone should ever dispute the greatest dry white Riesling (and possibly the greatest white wine anywhere), one only need to try this and that will be the end of that.
12-1982 Chateau Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Pauillac - At it's prime, this is a #1-#3 wine, but this bottle had faded just a touch and falls out of the top 10... but still an amazing bottle. Glad I had the opportunity to taste it several times.
11-1995 Domaine Leroy Richebourg - Not sure how this missed the top 10, but it does (when you see the top 10, you'll see why...) Maybe, again, another 5-10 years and this could be a favorite. Awesome Richebourg.

Let's see... that leaves 3 Bordeaux, 2 Burgundy, 1 Champagne, 3 California, and 1 Rhone as the makeup of the top 10... it's going to take a lot for the top 10 to change...

No comments: