Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Back to Alsace and crazy nights

I have a bit of the 2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Selection des Grains Nobles "Hors Choix" left and I dare say, it's even better than it was on Monday! I think it's just beginning to open up and would probably last a few weeks if I let it... but I won't. It just too darn tasty! Last night it was a bowl of candied apricots covered in honey. Amazing stuff. 60 second finish. Sweet, but not fake-sweet. It had all of the guts to back up the sweetness. Great SGN. That was nice to come home to last night... at work I had a 1970 Graham's Vintage Port (decanted 3 hours). Whoa. I'm not a big port drinker, but wow. The nose was deep, dark plums, figs, burning alcohol, and caramel and chocolate (perhaps a touch of brett on this as well). The palate was rich - honey, caramel, chocolate, black mission figs. Really great port. But alas, I preferred the 1995 Chateau Leoville-Las-Cases. Though clearly not even close to being ready to drink, after 4 hours of decanting, it started coming around. Cedar, plums, and big-time anise really came through. A touch of bing cherry on the finish (long as it was) really let me know this wine is something special.

No comments: