Friday, October 21, 2005

What do I drink?

Ahh... probably the single most asked question I get is "What do you drink, when you are out enjoying yourself, instead of just tasting?". Well, the answer isn't as simple as the question. In general, I drink whatever I might be interested in at the moment - or a better way to say - whatever I happen to have on hand that is pretty good. To be honest, I'd rather not drink anything than drink a mediocre bottle/glass of wine/beer. Tonight I happen to be off from work... I've opened two bottles of Pinot Noir... poured one down the drain. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just not a good bottle of wine. It was free, so I can't complain, but still. I am drinking a glass of 2003 Rutz Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. After R told me he drank a 1998 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape last night, I was tempted to open one of my 2001s, but I'd rather wait. I was also tempted to open a higher-end bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir, but alas, I opted for this instead. Favorite song at the moment? Twisted Logic by Coldplay. Great song. Very symbolic. I don't know which way I'm going, I don't know which way I've come... Anyway, back to beverages at hand... This wine has nice fruit - a bit of strawberries (of the wild type), raspberries, and a touch of Maraschino cherry. Nice wine. Nice finish. I would buy this wine. I started out tonight with a bottle of Anchor Steam... still my favorite. I ordered a bottle of 2002 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulee de Serrant, Savenierres, Anjou-Samur, Loire Valley today. One of the great esoteric wines. I'll probably hold onto it for a decade before I drink it. It's so tight right now. Truly a work of art. Dry Chenin Blanc. Maybe when I turn 40...

No comments: