Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Is it September or February?

Busy, busy night... First, I'll comment on the bottles of 1994 Shafer Hillside Select. I am stunned at both the consistency and the sheer power that this wine posesses at 12 years of age. I had previously tasted the 1991, the 1997, the 2000 and the 1994 in a vertical with Doug Shafer and it was my favorite then... the 1991 had died, the 1997 had died (yup... one of the great tragedies was the over-hyped 1997 vintage.) but the 1994...

Last night... the 1999 Fontodi Syrah was good, but a bit oxidized with ripe raisins and prunes. None of the black earth that I associated with past vintages of this wine. We'll see if another bottle reveals the same thing. The 2001 (magnum) and 2002 (750ml) Sonoma-Cutrer "Les Pierres" were both outstanding. Those of you that know me know my general disdain for California Chards, but this is not like "the other ones"... it's clean, minerally - in the model of a premier-cru Puligny-Montrachet. For R & A, the 2002 was better - I personally thought though the 2001 showed more oak on the nose, on the palate there was less prevalant alcohol and more length and depth of flavors than the 2002. The 1997 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon (magnum) was dead... not completely shot, but just not anything special. Two different bottles of 2003 Pride Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon were pretty... very sweet style with perhaps a bit less concentration that this wine can achieve in its best vintages. Still wonderful.

No comments: