Monday, September 11, 2006

Saturday Night

Got a suprise the other day in my order, and we sold one on Saturday Night... I'v long considered the 1994 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon one of the best Cabs I've ever had from California. I hadn't tasted it in roughly 2 years - and I am pleased to say it is still improving. A beautiful cedary nose with black plums, black currant, and anise. The wine is showing just hints of browning on the rim, but nothing significant. On the palate, the cedar gives way to the powerful black fruit and graphite that I associate with Stags Leap District wines. A gorgeous wine with tons of power and lots of life left, though I think this wine is perfect right now, I wouldn't hold them! The 1999 Louis Roederer Cristal Brut Rose has all of the hallmarks of a great rose - when it finally matures in 10-15 years. This is a baby and is not giving up much except some sweet strawberries on the nose. The non-rose 1999 Cristal is showing much, much better. The 2003 Lewis Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon has started to lighten and show some elegance along with all of that class. A beauty (still)...

No comments: