Sunday, January 07, 2007

At This Rate...

It's going to be one heck of a year... worked 3 nights, had quite a few memorable wines already!!! Can't forget about the 2004 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Pouilly de Fume "Silex" is amazing... simply the best Sauvignon I've ever tasted (and I've tasted it a few times now...) Last night was the last bottle of 1994 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon - this has developed into a Bordeaux-like behemoth. This wine is still massive, but has so much cedar and earth... wonderful. Last night saw the first bottle of 1994 Bryant Family Vineyards "Pritchard Hill" Cabernet Sauvignon go out and though I've had this in the past, I don't remember it being quite like this. I used to always like Bryant better than Harlan (but let's first talk about how crazy that statement is...) and I think I still do... this wine is phenomenal. Could be the greatest Cabernet Sauvignon I've ever had (perhaps even eclipsing the monumental 2001 Harlan Estate)... So much mint with sweet cherries, cedar, black currant and a finish that keeps on going and going... Eucalyptus and such a silky, sexy wine. This is so soft and velvety... The way I described it was like a great Chateau Margaux (California-ized, for the record). Which made me think - all of the great cult wines of California behave differently - so, how to they compare the the great Bordeaux Chateau?

Bryant Family Vineyards = Chateau Margaux
Harlan Estate = Chateau Latour
Shafer Hillside Select = Chateau Haut-Brion
Screaming Eagle = Chateau Mouton-Rothschild
Colgin = Chateau Lafite-Rothschild

Just my opinion though...

No comments: