Friday, January 05, 2007

It Only Takes One...

(or in this case, two - bottles, that is)... tried two different bottles of the absolutely stunning 1995 Chatau Latour... though the lowest rated of the first growths in 1995, I think that this one is a monster waiting to be unleashed. The bottles were quite different, despite coming from the same case (I have always experienced a tremendous amount of bottle variation amongst the first growths, despite the vintage). The first time I tried this wine was last February and I noted at the time (on two separate occasions) that this wine was closed and note very giving. Well, the sleeping giant has started to awaken... giving beautiful notes of cedar and mocha with sweet currants, plums, black olives and amazing concentration. I still don't think this is the 82 or the 90, this is certainly along the lines of the 85 or 86, and quite a bit better than the 83. One bottle was more developed than the other. Such pretty, pretty wines... Chateau Latour is my favorite Bordeaux Estate by far...

No comments: