Monday, September 03, 2007

Beer, the other sparkling beverage

Ok, so aside from an unnatural love for all things grape (other than popsicles... can't stand grape popsicles for some reason)... I also have a love for all things barley. And hops. I love beer. I love the smells, I love the flavors, I love the complexity some of them can have. I love it. I certainly have my favorites, but there is one that I put on a pedestal far above any other beer on this planet... Alaskan Brewing Company's Alaskan Amber. Hoppy, rich, beautiful. The perfect beer. Better than my beloved Anchor Steam. Better than Chimay. If only I could find a few bottles!!!! It's been 8 years since I've had a bottle of this wonderful beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What other beers would you rate at the top of your list? Mine (in no particular order)
1. Caracole
2. Trippel Karmaleit
3. Dupont Foret
4. Smithwick's
I went on a brewery tour through the Alaskan Brewing Co. and would say that they know what they are doing. It's certainly not one of the marginal brewpub establishments.

Philip, Davidson '96

Andrew McNamara said...

Definitely some good ones there. I just got turned on to Smithwick's not too long ago. A nice drink. My favorites, in no order... Anchor Brewing Company (the Steam in great, but the Porter is heavenly), Sapporo (have to love it!), Chimay (big fan of the Blue), Paulaner (love the Hefeweizen and the Oktoberfest), Boddington's, Samuel Smith's (any of them)... I could go on.