Saturday, September 01, 2007

Counterfiet Wine

There's a lot of media attention being given to the dispute legendary collectors Bill Koch and Hardy Rodenstock are having amongst, well, themselves. Koch bought several bottles that Hardy had put up at auction that were supposed to be from Thomas Jefferson's collection (Jefferson was one of the great collectors of wine)... Are they? Who knows? Is there evidence that they are not? Yes. Is there evidence that they are? Sort of. Anyone know the answer? Can anyone know the answer? Doubtful. We are unfortunately in a time where the investment in rare bottles of wine is becoming a sport. What the bottle says and what the chemical composition is of the liquid in the bottle has become more important than the beauty and magic of wine itself. Can money be made by collecting then selling increasingly rare bottles? Absolutely. To me, that's not the important question. The real question is, why does money taste better than wine? For me, it's obviously all about the wine. I don't have 1 bottle in my cellar that I wouldn't drink because the memories are much more important than possessing a great bottle or bottles. Enjoying a legendary bottle with friends is more important than bragging rights... after all, isn't being able to say you enjoyed a bottle of 1921 Petrus better than saying I have a bottle, but I'll never open it? I'm not opposed to people selling wine because their tastes changed, but if you buy wines for the simple idea of selling them later, well, what's the fun in that? Have I had bottles that weren't what they said they were - I absolutely have my suspicions about a few. It is an increasing problem as the value of collecting wine grows more important than the value of enjoying wine... we'll see where all of this goes.

No comments: