Friday, November 21, 2008

Top 18 Countdown...

Ok... so let's go 18-11 today...

#18 - Penfold's Kalimna Block 42 Cabernet Sauvingon, Australia - one of the most profound yound Cabernet Sauvignon's I've ever tasted. Simply stunning... Power, spice, finesse - this is a just plain sexy wine. I wish I had a bottle to try in 40 years...

#17 - 1982 Chateau Latour, Bordeaux - Wow. Just had it the other night... see the notes from there.

#16 - 1988 Domaine de la Romanée Conti Grands Echezeaux, Burgundy - Wowzers... my favorite '88 from DRC. Still powerfully tannic, but less so than the RSV. Lovely earth notes that just screamed from the glass... What mature Burgundy should be, and this one still has time.

#15 - 1982 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, Bordeaux - Yes, better than the Latour. A great wine, and I usually like Latour better... this year, though, the 82 Lafite was better than the 82 Latour I had. Incredibly intoxicating with the cedar box and tobacco leaf aromas. Timeless.

#14 - 2001 Dominus, Napa Valley, California - Yup, there it is. Not the best Dominus I've had this year, but the best young Dominus I've ever tasted. I don't usually like it when it's young (too anise-y and brooding), but this one was just perfectly balanced. I need to find a bottle - this might be Merry Christmas to me...

#13 - 1967 Mascarelli Barolo, Piemonte, Italy - this was one of those "No, no, no, no, yes, no, no, yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no - wait a minute - YES!" It was alive, and it was glorious... Sotto Bosco maximus...

#12 - 1998 Alvaro Palacios L'Ermita, Priorato - oh my... I'll never forget this taste. One of those legendary wines I've had the priviledge of drinking many times. Mr. Palacios is a master...

#11 - 1992 Krug "Clos du Mesnil" Blanc de Blancs, Mesnil-sur-Oger, Champagne - two intoxicating bottles of this otherworldly Chardonnay... Like smelling a box of the finest dried brioche, apple skin, citrus and pears. Perfection.

No comments: