Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tasting Time...

6 Wines... 33 Steps per wine... 25 Minutes... Time to get into "shape"... my palate into shape that is. I have a competition in March that I need to get ready for, so I'll be putting quite a few tasting notes up here, not necessarily on great wines that I've gotten to try, but about how my tastings are going. I'll still write about those wines, but you'll see a great deal about sights, smells, and tastes. Last night R gave me 6 wines and 5 minutes to just play a little sommelier game. I did ok... nailed 4 of the 6 wines, but I feel I would have gotten 1 more if the light had been better (it was dark, and I needed the visual clue). So, all in all, I'm pretty happy for a first effort since August.

Tasted the 2001 August Briggs Dijon Clones Pinot Noir, Napa Valley. A very, very, very hot wine (hot refers to the alcohol content, or percieved alcohol content) - 14.5% which came off as unbalanced. Also tasted a 1986 Carpineto Vin Santo, Tuscany, Italy - a repasso wine - that was gorgeous with honeyed almonds, tropical fruits, and amazing aromatics. Fabulous length on this wine. Great stuff.

No comments: