Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wow... Could be my greatest day for wine ever...

Oh boy oh boy... I don't know that I should get paid for "working" last night. While there were some difficult moments, it was also one of the most palate-enriching experiences of my life. Now, I'm the one that's supposed to provide incredible experiences for others, but last night I had an exceptional experience...For starters, we tasted 1961 Chateau Latour, 1970 Chateau Latour, 1982 Chateau Latour, and 1996 La Forts de Latour (2nd wine for Latour). The 1961 was unfortunately maderized... and was poured down the drain (for the most part). The 1970 was exceptional, if not a touch light. Beautiful cedar, black plums, a touch of anise... outstanding, but fell apart rather quickly. The 1982 was incredible. While not the greatest 1982 Latour I've ever had, it was certainly a perfect wine. Rich, dark, sweet and full of life, the 1982 was still on fire 6 hours later. It competley blew the 70 and 61 out of the water in terms of power, intensity, and complete mind-blowing complexity. The 1996 La Forts de Latour was black, full of anise, black plums, a hint of tobacco and cedar. A great wine certainly, but it didn't stand up to the Grand Vin.

After all of that, I really didn't feel like staying at work... But I'm glad I did, because, believe it or not, it only kept getting better from there. The young 1998 Domaine Lefaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Pucelles" was mineraly, rich, and outstanding, rock-star chardonnay. The 1952 Chateau Margaux was the 2nd finest Margaux I've ever tasted (behind the 1990). It was a youthful mass of dried leaves, black earth, cedar, tobacco, violets, and wild strawberry. So velvety, soft, and refined. The wine is incredible. The 2003 Peter Michael "Les Cairiannes" Chardonnay was rich, mineraly, buttery, oaky, but not over-the-top. Very balanced, excellent California Chardonnay. The 2001 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay 2001 was the complete opposite. While it was an outstanding wine, I couldn't drink it. It was too oaky, too buttery, too rich. I prefer the Peter Michael far and away when tasted side by side. But, the guest liked the Pahlmeyer better, which is all that matters in the end. The 2001 Peter Michael "Les Pavots" Meritage, California's highest scoring wine from WS in 2001, was massive. Ironically, R tasted it and said he likes the Pahlmeyer Red better than the Peter Michael, and I would agree. This wine was over-the-top in every category. Jammy black berries, graphite, and chocolate with immense body and excellent balance, but this was a little too much for me. It was nice to taste, I wouldn't want to drink it.

After all of that great wine, how can one wine top them all? The 1953 Chateau d'Yquem could. WS pans it. RP didn't review it. I don't know where WS got their bottle from, but this wine was liquid gold. Classic d'Yquem cabbage, botrytis, tropical fruits, peaches, candied apricots, just amazing... this wine was SO YOUNG!!! It was vibrant, dark gold in color, not yet showing hints of orange or browing whatsoever. The wine developed for an hour and 1/2 after opening indicating this wine still has a long, long life ahead of it. Perfectly balanced. Without question the greatest d'Yquem I've ever tasted (blows away the 1990)... nice.

No comments: