Friday, July 14, 2006

Fun Times All Around!

The 2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fume Pur Sang rocks... had a better taste of this wine this time. It'a really showing great minerality and is so clean... classic, rich, Pouilly-Fume. One of the best Sauvignon Blancs I've ever had. As I've talked about before, the 2004 Patz & Hall Pinot Noirs are amazing... The Hyde Vineyard (in 750 vs 375 - there is a difference) is as intense and powerful a young California Pinot as I've ever had. Ripe strawberries, raspberries and plums. Lots of oak - but it's all integrated. This is a Pinot monster and it's only getting better. I love the 1996 Muga Prado Enea Rioja Gran Reserva, but it hasn't changed much since I last tasted it (but I still love it!!!), so I won't talk about it. Refer to previous tasting notes. We discovered the secret to the 2000 Hatton Estate Tahi - don't decant it!!! The other night, the bottle died in the decanter. Not this time. Decanted 5 minutes before serving, this wine was powerful and pretty - just as I remember it. A great bottle of wine. But, the wine of the night was the 2001 Chateau Rieussec (375ml). The last bottle that we have... this wine has started to round out and is an amazing expression of terroir and is a classic sweet wine. Tons of botrytis, loads of minerals, with an incredible, dynamic finish that lasts for 90+ seconds. Amazing, amazing wine.

No comments: