Thursday, July 13, 2006

I NEED RIESLING!!!

You know how you get that hankering for something... well, I've got it for killer Riesling right now... I need some Robert Weil!!! The oily, minerality - the crisp acid - the pretty peaches and pears and apricots - oh my!!! Instead, the 2000 Hatton Estate "Tahi", Hawkes Bay, Gimblett Gravels sub-region was not as good as I last remember it to be... I won't be decanting this wine anymore... it smells initially like Pichon-Lalande, then fades to Southern Hemisphere Raspberry (that's a technical term, FYI...) Long on the finish... needs less air. Drink it now... the 2002 Joseph Phelps Insignia, however, is shutting down for a long winter's nap. Don't touch it for at least 2 years. The nose is power, the palate is concentrated, but slightly unbalanced... the fruit will come around on this monster, it is just going to take some time. Great wine... I won't be opening mine for a long time.

No comments: