Saturday, December 23, 2006

#3s

So there are 2 #3s this year... They are equally great and I could not put one in front of the other without going back and changing it... so (in no particular order)...

#3 - 2002 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon, Stags Leap District, Napa Valley - see my notes from the other day... hard to believe it gets any better than this... but this year it did... twice. Tasted twice now with very consistant notes.

#3 - 1999 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Montrachet, Chassagne-Montrachet, Burgundy - yup, their entire holding is in Chassagne-Montrachet... simply one of the greatest white wines I've ever tasted (not sure if I like it more than the 1990 Latour Corton - I don't think so, but this year it seemed to be more "magical" than the LLCC). Such power with intense minerals, crushed pebbles and ripe pear. The mid-palate and the finish on this wine are incredible... goes on and on and on... worth the money.

No comments: