Friday, December 29, 2006

Echezeauxxxxxx

Must have been something in the air... the 1994 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Echezeaux is bar far the best of the 94s that I've had... A wonderful deep earthy nose with strawberry and classic rhubarb and clove nose that DRCs always have... I'm glad there is another bottle in the cellar... Also was the 2001 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Echezeaux... this has an amazing nose and continues to confirm my belief that the 2001 Red Burgundies are vastly under-rated and are showing so much terroir-driven attributes, that I think these wines might outlast the highly-acclaimed 2002s, which I was never in complete love with anyway. The nose was rose petals, clove, cinnamon, rhubarb and a deep, dark earthiness that defines Echezeaux. A great wine!

Had an amazing dining experience last night... started out with the 1996 Veuve A. Deveaux Millesime Brut, which at last check is still not imported into the United States... this is one of the great Champagnes I've ever had... I have my original tasting notes around here somewhere (from when I visited the winery in January 2004)... the yeastiness combined with the length and depth of fruit on this wine made my head spin. I had been saving it for the night since I got back and it was well worth the journey...

No comments: