Saturday, December 30, 2006

Well, it's time...

It's been long enough... seen a few changes in the list since I started writing about it - a few additions, moving wines around, but all in all, it's been pretty clean... So, without further delay,
My #1 and #1 Wines of the Year... but wait, you're saying, you can't have co-#1s can you? Sure, it's my blog and I can do whatever I want (it's good to be the king)...

#1 - 2001 Harlan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
#1 - 1982 Chateau Latour, Pauillac (bottle #5)

Why are they both #1? Well, I could not decide which was better - they are both completely perfect wines and they are at complete opposite ends of their development. The Harlan is there because of it's raw power and intensity - combined with unreal balance, incredible texture and amazing length. It is a complete wine and there is nothing I could either add or subtract to this (except maybe add a few bottles to my cellar...) to improve it. It is a benchmark wine and one that I'll remember the smell and taste of forever. The Latour is there because it too is perfect - perfectly balanced, has incredible texture and amazing length. Instead of just raw power and intensity (though it certainly has some of both), this wine has finesse and has a nose with aromatics I have never come across... The pure cedary/plummy/cigar-boxy quality to this wine is just the tip of the layer upon layer of developed fruit and earth... It just screams from the glass and leaves me at a loss for words. My guess is that if Mr. Levy & Mr. Harlan ran Latour and Mr. Engerer ran Harlan, their wines would not be much different - less the terroir. So take your pick - the Harlan is either a young Latour or the Latour is an older Harlan - either way, it was a joy to taste both this year.

No comments: